LinuxKit, a toolkit for building custom minimal, immutable Linux distributions.
- Secure defaults without compromising usability
- Everything is replaceable and customisable
- Immutable infrastructure applied to building Linux distributions
- Completely stateless, but persistent storage can be attached
- Easy tooling, with easy iteration
- Built with containers, for running containers
- Designed to create reproducible builds [WIP]
- Designed for building and running clustered applications, including but not limited to container orchestration such as Docker or Kubernetes
- Designed from the experience of building Docker Editions, but redesigned as a general-purpose toolkit
- Designed to be managed by external tooling, such as Infrakit or similar tools
- Includes a set of longer-term collaborative projects in various stages of development to innovate on kernel and userspace changes, particularly around security
LinuxKit currently supports the
s390x architectures on a variety of platforms, both as virtual machines and baremetal (see below for details).